The Cooper Union
The Cooper Union Foundation Building was constructed in 1859. After 140 years, the brownstone ashlar masonry was severely deteriorated, the windows were in poor condition, and the roof was leaking. Norfast was hired as the project manager to coordinate a 100 year restoration of the building while it was fully occupied. The roofs were replaced with standing seam lead coated copper, Kemper and Siplast. The 400+ windows were replaced, with selective locations being restored. The brownstone ashlar and profiled elements were either honed and retooled or replaced using stone from the original quarry in Portland, Connecticut. The clock was restored as was the cast iron façade at the first floor. NYC LPC designated the building an individual landmark in 1969.
Location: 7 East 7th St, NY, NY
Client: The Cooper Union
Budget: $13.2 M
Services: Project management, facade restoration