The Roosevelt Island Octagon
The Octagon opened on Roosevelt Island in 1841 as an island retreat and was later transformed into the Metropolitan Hospital. The hospital closed in 1955 and the building subsequently fell into disrepair. The NYC LPC designated the Octagon Tower an individual landmark in 1976. In 2006, as part of a full scale adaptive reuse to turn the building into residences, Norfast designed the temporary shoring and stabilization of the octagon walls. Norfast also produced shop drawings for the building's new GFRP, cast stone, and waterproofing.
Location: 888 Main St, NY, NY
Client: Nicholson & Galloway
Services: Construction engineering